Senior Scientist Translational Research
ProQR Therapeutics is a biotechnology company listed on NASDAQ with offices in Leiden, the Netherlands and Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. ProQR is focused on the development of life changing RNA therapies to meet the unmet need of individuals and families with common and rare diseases. A team of 135 enthusiastic ProQRians from all walks of life and more than 30 different nationalities is up to this challenge. We have the passion and commitment to make a difference in the lives of the communities we serve. Our proprietary Axiomer® RNA editing technology platform enables the editing of specific single nucleotides in RNA using the cells own editing machinery. Axiomer® RNA editing technology harnesses ADAR (Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA), which is machinery present in all human cells to repair G-to-A mutations, modulate protein, and enable protective mutation functions. Axiomer could potentially yield a new class of innovative medicines and treat currently untreatable diseases.
Our R&D department is currently looking for an experienced Senior Scientist Translational Research (Full-time). The Senior Scientist will lead our development of biomarker development plans and patient selection strategies for target assessment and early programs.
We expect our Sr. Scientist Translational Research to have:
- An advanced degree (PhD and/or MD) with primary specialization in either Cellular or Molecular Biology, Immunology, and/or Pharmacology with at least five years of biomarker or clinical translational research in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Thorough understanding of evidence generation strategy, drug development, and clinical trials, as well as analytical and clinical validation of biomarker assays.
- Experience with identification and validation of target engagement, pharmacodynamic, and patient selection biomarkers.
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements and guidelines related to translational research and biomarker development.
- In-depth understanding of the Liver and CNS disease area/therapeutic indication is a plus.
- Strong analytical and communication skills, with competence to proactively advance translational science strategy within collaborative matrix teams.
- Ability to influence projects from discovery through early clinical development with a focus on prioritizing indications and patient populations via biomarkers for response to therapy.
- Skills to collaborate with bioinformatics experts to analyse complex genomic data sets for target or patient selection.
- Ability to be agile and highly productive in a fast-paced & dynamic work environment.
- Passion for innovation and drive to deliver new therapies to patients with high unmet needs.
- Lead building of translational science capabilities for use in drug discovery and early programs.
- Develop translational research strategy that builds understanding of mechanisms of disease & potential targets, enables target identification & assessment, guides indication prioritization & patient stratification, assesses proof of mechanism through early signs of efficacy, and facilitates proof of concept studies.
- Collaborate with discovery and preclinical development teams to build and use appropriate models to validate targets of interest and biomarkers related to mechanism of action and drug response.
- Support planning & documentation of translational medicine activities for clinical and regulatory documents, including clinical development plans and study protocols.
- Serve as translational research expert for ProQR, acting as a key link to external scientific and medical communities to gain external insights for biomarker and early development strategies.
Skills and competencies that are required for making the difference:
- Analytical and accurate
- Creative thinker
- Flexible and resistant to change
- Hands-on mentality
- Pro-active attitude
- Team player
- Patient-oriented attitude
- Autonomous and coachable
- Being able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong project planning and management skills
- Being able to prioritize multiple tasks
ProQR as an employer
As an employer, we are a true believer of the value of a workforce in which people from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to develop themselves, personally and professionally. We believe that happy and energized people, working well together in an environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal and awesome things.
We are committed to ensure that no employee, candidate, or job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, age, disability, pregnancy, religion, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership status. At ProQR we want to create an inclusive culture where everyone can be valued for who they are and in which individual differences and the contributions in all forms are recognized and valued.
We offer an exciting and innovative working environment in a very committed organization, with the following benefits:
- 8% holiday allowance
- 30 vacation days
- An annual performance bonus
- Stock options
- A premium-free pension plan
- A commuting allowance
- A subsidized staff restaurant
- Flexible working arrangements
- Unlimited (un)healthy snacks and drinks
- Employee events (boot camp, Rebel Café and other social events)
Do you think you can contribute to achieving our mission? If so, we’re looking forward to receiving your application by filling out our application form.
You can contact Silvia Catellani via email@example.com if you have any questions.
Please note that a screening is part of our selection procedure.