Scientific Director LiverApply for Scientific Director Liver . Opens in new window.
ProQR Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotech company listed on NASDAQ with offices in Leiden, the Netherlands and Cambridge, Massachusetts, US. ProQR is focused on the development of game changing RNA therapies for severe genetic rare diseases. Our mission is to help patients by creating new medicines. A team of 140 enthusiastic ProQRians from all walks of life and more than 30 different nationalities is up to this challenge. We have the passion and commitment to make a difference in the lives of the patients we serve.
Our Axiomer Unit is currently looking for a Scientific Director Liver (Full-time) to join our team.
Scientists at ProQR have invented a new way to use RNA oligonucleotides to alter RNA. The Axiomer® RNA editing technology enables the editing of specific single nucleotides in RNA using the cells own editing machinery. ProQR is fully committed to develop Axiomer towards a new class of medicine and treat currently untreatable diseases.
As a ProQR Scientific Director Liver you will be key in leading research programs in collaboration with internal and external partners focused on the development of novel drug candidates for the treatment of chronic liver diseases. You will be a strong scientific thinker with significant experience leading discovery and development of oligonucleotide therapies for liver diseases, and have extensive experience developing and/or evaluating novel nucleic acid-based therapeutics and delivery platforms. As part of the Axiomer Drug Discovery Unit, you will report to the VP Scientific Operations and will work closely with the Chief Science Officer. In your role you will support, evaluate and/or identify business development opportunities to enhance project progression and/or platform expansion, with specific application to the needs of the liver portfolio including nucleic acid-based therapeutics and delivery platforms. You will lead a project team with multiple project leads in an matrix organization. Good project and organization skills are a must.
How you will contribute:
- Develop and oversee novel scientific projects and manage the work of others directly and in a matrixed structure.
- Lead efforts to determine mechanism of action for drug targets and candidates using state-of-the-art methods and tools.
- Oversee the execution of drug candidate and platform development programs, using contemporary methods and tools in collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Proactively identify complex obstacles to progress; recommend and implement solutions using a diverse set of resources; contribute to research projects through creative ideas.
- Determine methods on new assignments; make strategic recommendations on projects.
- Manage a wide variety of tasks, techniques, and projects; integrate these responsibilities to produce quality result with a high level of efficiency.
- Be a scientific mentor.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and leadership.
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline with 10+ years experience in the discovery and development of oligonucleotide therapies for liver diseases, or
- MS with 14+ years experience, or
- BS with 16+ years experience.
- 7 years of Industry experience required.
- 7 years of managerial experience required.
- Significant understanding of complex biological systems.
- Proven ability to effectively interact with technical, scientific staff and research management.
- Expertise in oligonucleotide and/or base editing therapeutics and delivery technologies.
- Expertise in the design and execution of in vivo and in vitro studies for the evaluation of liver-related biology and pathology.
- Solid understanding of in silico and computational approaches in drug development
- Experience with working with leading project teams
- Experience in with the field of genetic liver diseases
- The ability to work in a dynamic organization
Location: Leiden, NL.
Skills and competencies that are required for making the difference:
- Flexible and resistant to change
- Pro-active attitude
- Being able to work in a fast pace environment
- Strong project planning and management skills
- Critical thinking, decision making and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (English)
- Pro-active and pragmatic self-starter, with a result-oriented mindset
ProQR as an employer
As an employer, we are a true believer of the value of a workforce in which people from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to develop themselves, personally and professionally. We believe that happy and energized people, working well together in an environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal and awesome things.
We are committed to ensure that no employee, candidate or job applicant receives less favorable treatment on the grounds of race, age, disability, pregnancy, religion, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership status. At ProQR we want to create an inclusive culture where everyone can be valued for who they are and in which individual differences and the contributions in all forms are recognized and valued.
We offer an exciting and innovative working environment in a very committed organization, with the following benefits:
- A competitive salary
- 8% holiday allowance
- 30 vacation days
- An annual performance bonus
- Stock options
- A premium-free pension plan
- A commuting allowance
- A subsidized staff restaurant
- Flexible working arrangements
- Unlimited (un)healthy snacks and drinks
- Employee events (boot camp, Hipster café and other social events)
Do you think you can contribute in achieving our mission? If so, we’re looking forward to receiving your application by filling out our application form.
You can contact Silvia Catellani via email@example.com if you have any questions.
Please note that a screening is part of our selection procedure.